General description of university

The University of Évora is a public institution of higher education whose origins date back to 1559. After being closed in the 18th century, the university reopens in 1979. At the present time, it is organized in departments which are grouped in schools related to specific scientific domains, such as:

  • Arts
  • Social Sciences
  • Technology Sciences
  • Health

The São João de Deus School of Nursing, a public polytechnic institute of higher education, became part of the University of Evora in 2004.

The campus:

Blended in with the city, the campus  is comprised of buildings with a high patrimonial value from different historical periods. The following buildings deserve special attention:

  • Espirito Santo College
  • Casa Cordovil
  • Luís António Verney College
  • Pedro da Fonseca College
  • Mateus d' Aranda College
  • Vimioso Palace
  • Leões Factory
  • São João de Deus School of Nursing

Outside city limits, the university reaches as far as 12km at the Mitra Centre. There are also two experimental estates in the south of Alentejo and several other units scattered over different cities in the south of Portugal where teaching and researching activities are carried out:

  • Mitra Centre
  • Estremoz Centre
  • Sines Centre
  • Marvão Centre
  • Alter do Chão Centre

University demographics

The University of Evora has around 5100 students enrolled in graduate courses, 2200 in Master’s courses and 900 in PhD courses. Moreover, it has a teaching staff of 640, of whom more than 83% hold a PhD degree, and an administrative staff of 470.